Saturday, March 16, 2013

Color Q Challenge and a Father's Day Card

Haha, I'm back with another card.  Can you tell I was going through withdrawal on Monday?  It's finally Friday and I'm back at my crafting table.  It's been a particularly busy week as my in-laws are visiting, so I had to be good.  But now it's play time.

Today I'm sharing a card for my first ever card challenge entry!   


Perfect colors for St. Patrick's Day, however,  I couldn't figure out to whom I may give this kind of card.  So I'm going to try my hand at making a masculine card, one for Father's day.  Still early, but it's what pops to mind when I see this color combo.  

My Father's Day Card and entry for Color Q's challenge #180



I used Hero Art's Have A Donut Stamp Set, my dad is a coffee lover and when I saw this stamp set I thought of him, it was perfect. I stamped it with Memento tuxedo black ink and used Bic markers to color the image.  




As a beginner, I've been experimenting a lot.  Bic alcohol markers are a more cost effective and a great alternative to Copic markers.  Especially for those like me who are just having fun learning and playing and aren't quite ready for the investment into professional grade markers.  I've been experimenting a lot with different methods of coloring images.  So far my favorite methods are using Prismacolor pencils with gamsol and Bic alcohol markers.  I'm able to blend pretty well and end up with good looking results using these two methods. 




I cut out my image with a Spellbinder's circle die, embossed it and used a sponge dauber to ink inside the embossed edge.  By keeping the die on the paper while inking, you end up with a white ring on the outside after the die is removed. This gives it an extra dimension in just the right color, especially if you don't own any card stock in the desired color.  It was a great way to incorporate lucky limeade into my card.




I then matted the focal image on grey and then black circles.  Placed the whole image on a rectangular panel.  Stamped with my sentiment in Color Box frost white pigment ink and then popped the whole thing on a grey card base. 


Card Dimensions are as follows


Card Base 5-1/2" x 8", score at 3-3/4"
Black mat 5-1/8" x 3-9/16"
Green Pattern Paper 2" x 3-1/2" and 1" x 3-1/2"

Focal image circle Spellbinders Nestabilities Large Circle die, 2nd to the largest circle (about 3-5/16")
Grey circle 1/8 inch larger in diameter than the focal image (exact measurements are 3-7/16")
Black circle 1/16 inch larger in diameter than the grey circle (exact measurements are 3-1/2" diameter)


Supplies
Paper
  • Grey - The Paper Company
  • Black - Cor'dinations Paper
  • White - Cor'dinations Paper
  • Green Pattern Paper - Recollections Green Faux Canvas
Stamps
  • Hero Arts Have a Donut
  • Hero Arts Everyday Sayings - the dots
  • Hero Arts Fantastic Birthdays - the happy and day
  • Inkadinkado Heirloom Type Cling - to spell out "Father's"


Inks and inking tools
  • Memento Tuxedo Black
  • Memento Pear Tart
  • Color Box Frost White Pigment Ink
  • Tsukineko Sponge Daubers
Markers
  • Bic Mark It Fine Point Permanent Markers
Paper Cutters
  • Fiskars Sure Cut Paper Trimmer
  • Spellbinder's Nestabilities Large Circle Dies
  • EK Success Circle Scissors
  • WeR Memory Keepers Fine Detail Scissors
Adhesives:
  • Elmer's Permanent Dot Runner

HAVE FUN!  CHEERS!

4 comments:

  1. Great coloring!! Thanks for joining us at the CQC!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and commenting! I'm just happy to be joining such an amazing community!

      Delete
  2. What an awesome card...I love coffee myself! Cute image and great coloring! He'll love it! Thanks so much for playing with our CQC colors this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. It was really fun playing along this week, I love the inspiration I get from other card makers off your site!

      Delete